Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Grandma Barbara


Today would have been Grandma Barbara's 88th Birthday. She was my husband's grandmother who I loved as my own. When I married my husband I was excited to have grandparents again. He was blessed to still have both of his paternal grandparents living. I had lost all of mine when I was quite young; except for Gaga who passed away days after I graduated from high school. They were both quite spunky and active for their age.


They lived in Morro Bay, CA. It was always a pleasure going over to their house, not only to see them but to be able to be at the coast. Grandma's house was always open to anyone who wanted to come for a visit. They had a two story home that had great views from almost everywhere. My son got to enjoy the stairs as his cousins did before him. They were carpeted and they all loved to slide down them on their behinds. This house held many found memories for all of us.


Grandma was a remarkable woman. She was very strong willed and determined. She became a nurse later in life to keep her busy. She drove their huge motor home so they could continue to travel after Grandpa had a stroke and could no longer drive. She was a petite woman and seeing her behind the wheel of that big motor home was a sight!


Her and Grandpa loved to dance and danced every chance they could. They danced up until the very end. Grandma also stayed active by walking. She would walk from her house out to Morro Rock everyday for almost 16 years! This was quite a walk as they lived up on hill and the water was about a mile or two from their house. I think that this helped to keep her young. She loved to garden and as you know everything grows prettier at the coast. She always had flowers and she would provide them for our annual family reunion on Mother's Day every year. We got some Calla Lilly plants from her but they didn't grow as beautiful in the valley as they did at the coast.


We all still miss her and Morro Bay just isn't the same without them there. We still drive by their house every time we are over there. They are both in our hearts but never as much as when we are in Morro Bay. Happy Birthday Grandma! We love you and miss you very much.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

She was a very kind and friendly lady. Always interested in what the other person had to say. I know it must have been a great loss to the whole family, especially her devoted Grandson who took great care of her at the end.