Tuesday, March 18, 2008

American Heart Association Jump-a-Thon

On St. Patrick's Day my son's school had a Jump-a-thon to raise money for the American Heart Association. He was very excited about it and couldn't wait for it to start. He had been practicing at school so that he could "Win" the competition.


Since this is his first year in school, I did not know what to expect. First they had each class warm up, then each class got called to the jump area; each student was then given a jump rope. When the music began, each child was to begin jumping. The kindergarten group would have two chances to make a mistake and then they would be tapped on the shoulder to sit down. Who ever was left standing would be the winner.


It was a good thing that my son was in the back corner! He was not the first to be tapped out and I was very happy. But you can tell by his form that he has a little more practice to do! He jumped with such determination and consentration.

The eventual winner of my son's class is seen in the background of the above picture. You can tell by her form that she is used to jumping rope. I think that they should have had a boys winner and a girls winner because the girls were way better then any of the boys!


Once they say down, they each got a sticker badge that said "I Jumped for the American Heart Association" The kids all wore those with honor!

No matter where he placed, you can tell by the smile that he was proud of himself, and he raised a lot of money for a charity that is near and dear to our family! Way to Go, Son!

2 comments:

Trudy said...

When I saw this picture I said, "uh oh." First because I remembered what you said about his hand/eye coordination, second because we were supposed to sponsor him! Weren't you going to remind me?

How funny the difference with the girl in the background. Let's just say it looked vast. ;)

This looks a lot more fun than going door to door like we used to do.

Anonymous said...

He was awesome! To be able to smile that big even tho the win isnt yours is so great! (Wasn't the little girl that won the girl he has his eye on? Happy either way then.)

P.S. I was disappointed that you didn't show a picture of a judge, keenly eyeing the fierce competition. (or could it be that I should be thankful you didn't show a picture?)