Sunday, April 20, 2008

Papa's Grapes

My father has an incredible green thumb. He is usually doing something out in his yard or at my grandmother's ranch. He grows beautiful flowers, delicious fruit and interesting little bonsai plants. He always has some little project that he is working on.

Here he is watering one of his latest projects at my grandmother's house, his beef cattle. Notice the cute little grin, he knew I was taking his picture, but I don't think he realizes that it will be all over the Internet!

When I was at his house on Saturday, he had recently finished pruning his grapes. He had trimmed and thinned the grapes so that they will grow and become delicious. By pruning them, you could see all of the budding little bunches of grapes. I have never paid attention to them before. It was fun exploring all of the little plants!

In this next picture you can see how he has pruned the vines. He thins the fruit so that each bunch can grow to be the sweetest grapes.

The color is beautiful as well. It is such a delicate shade of green that will change into the purpley goodness of sweet grapes.

His grape vines traverse the whole back yard. They wrap around the fences, travel down the trellis wall, and down the original path that has been there since my youth. I don't think we ever didn't have grapes growing in the back yard. He has patiently trained them to grow where he wants them too. They are even on the fences out at my grandmother's ranch.
You can also see in this picture some of his little plantings. He also has Saigo Palms that he takes the pups off and plants them in little pots. He sells them and gives them away to friends and family.
It is just beautiful how the vines just give the backyard color and shade. In just a short time they will also provide fresh juicy grapes, my children's favorites.


My father's back yard is a place of beauty. It is a testament to his hard work and patience.

3 comments:

Trudy said...

That's a cute picture of Dad. These grapes are Summer to me. I can almost taste them. Did you get a new camera or are you just mastering photography?

Katviper said...

To bad he didn't get into the wine business with his expertise with grapes.

Anonymous said...

There's the grapes! They really are a sight to see! Such a nice tribute to him. I'll have to sit him down in front of my computer so he can see it.

I wonder how come I didn't get any - not one bit - of that green thumb?