Saturday, February 2, 2008

Power Struggles and Potty Training

I hate to admit that this beautiful, smart, sweet, strong-willed little girl is not potty trained. Yes, she is three years old and still wearing diapers/pull-ups. This is not because we have not tried. We have encouraged, bribed, suggested, and pleaded to no avail. She will go a couple of times then it is a full blown power struggle. We have tried, the babysitter has tried, even Grandma tried last weekend and we all end up with the same results. One or two times she goes and she is so proud of herself. We'll put on the pull-ups and think okay were on a roll and then she has no more interest in the whole thing. Then it becomes a power of wills. This is when I think okay, I'll give it a little more time. This is probably the problem, I know! But I just keep thinking that something is finally going to click and the struggle will be gone.

Well, I am hoping that it has! We attended a birthday party for one of her little friends from day care today. She was the only girl at the party. About midway through the party one of the other boys from daycare had to go potty so he told his mom and off they went. Then the birthday boy did the same thing. Next was my son telling his daddy that he had to go. All of a sudden, guess who else had to go. She came and told me and I took her in the bathroom. I was expecting the usual, "I can't go Mommy." Instead I heard the magic tinkle! I praised her and she was proud of herself. She went and told Daddy who also praised her. After the party we went to see my father. Not long after getting there, to my surprise, she wanted to go again. This time she didn't have to go afterall. While sitting there we started to talk about panties. I told her of all the different princess and Dora panties we could by. I then asked her what kind she would like to get. And she said .....


Barney, Bebop, and BJ. I told her that if she started using the potty I would get her Barney panties. She was all excited. She ended up asking to go again before we left, and actually did! Papa gave her a dollar and told her he would give her more if she continued to go in the potty. When we got home, she went again before going to bed; no struggle, no fight, no suggestion.

I will search the ends of the earth to find this child Barney, Bebop, and BJ panties if this is what it takes. I will let her watch that show anytime she wants if they are the magic trick. I can only hope.

3 comments:

Trudy said...

That cute little girl, strong willed? I was wondering as I read if they still make Barney panties? If not, there are so many girly ones I'm sure she'll like. Get rid of the Pull-Ups altogether, tough it out under all circumstances and just wear panties. It sounds like she's made up her mind, if not, you made it up for her.

Tell her we're all excited she's a big girl now!

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a battle of wills. Once it gets to that, it will happen only when she wants it to - and so it sounds like you're on the right track! Buy her the panties even before she's totally trained. She will be so proud, and really won't like what happens when she decides not to go in the right place. It may be messy, so being the smart little girl, she'll learn quick! I had two exactly the same way,3+ years, and that's what I found helpful. Who is the patron saint of potty?

Trudy said...

I'm not sure who the Patron Saint of Potty is but if I was a canonized Saint I sure would not want that to be my work of intercession. That would be hard. LOL