Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Beauty of Faith

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

It has been over a week since I read on another blog about a young father who had just passed away. Eric and his wife Heather had four children and had just adopted two young children. In fact the final papers on the adoption had just been signed about a week prior. This family has been in my prayers, my heart and on my mind ever since.

Heather's blog had beautiful pictures of them as a family. All looking so happy and healthy. Yet the words on the page said something quite different. It had prayer updates and what was going on at the hospital. Then there was a quote about Eric passing. In the days that preceeded his death, there were updates about his services and about ways that people could help with donations for an education fund for the children and financial support for Heather. I kept checking back because I could not get them off my mind.

Then there was a post from Heather herself on Friday. She talked about her belief in God and how she nows that God is Sovereign. She talked about all the blessings that God bestowed on her in the middle of the most horrible circumstances. Her faith and openess brought me to tears. I am amazed at the strength and the beauty in her words. She is a woman of faith and she knows that God is going to see her through.

I write this because I want to remember her and her family. I want other people to pray for her and think of her. At the end of the post she was talking about Eric and what would make him happy. She said, "He would be thrilled if he knew that his life helped others to live a full life for Christ by taking care of the poor, the sick, the elderly, the lonely, the orphans. That was his passion...living out his faith." What a beautiful thing that we can all strive for.

All you really need is the One who promised never to leave or forsake you; the One who said, "Lo, I am with you always." Joni Eareckson Tada

2 comments:

Trudy said...

They have been in my thoughts too since you mentioned them. We are made for Heaven! It sounds like Eric offered a bit of Heaven to those suffering here on Earth. May he be richly rewarded for his faithfulness! May God be with Heather and their children.

You too have a generous heart and faith, evidence is how this has affected you.

Anonymous said...

It has always been beyond my comprehension how a person can get through these times without faith. I pray for Heather's family, and for God's mercy on me and my family that it will not be tested this way. Thank you for sharing their story and the faith.