Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day


Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle. George Washington

The assertion that "all men are created equal" was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain and it was placed in the Declaration not for that, but for future use. Abraham Lincoln

Today we celebrate two great Presidents of the United States. Both of whom were men of great character. Both of them credited their mothers for the success that they achieved and for the men that they were.

So I asked my son, who is only five, what he knew about President's Day:

Why didn't you have to go to school today? Because it's President's Day. It's a holiday and you don't go to school on a holiday. (Good Answer!)

What is a President? Um, I'm not sure. (Not so good)

Who was President George Washington? He was the 1st President of the United States. Is he still alive? No, he has passed away. That is who I would vote for for President.

Who was President Abraham Lincoln? He was the 16th President of the United States. (Impressive Answer. I didn't remember that!)

What are you thankful for on this President's Day? My Family and all my Power Rangers. (at least we were first.)

I didn't even try these on the three year old. I was pretty impressed by my son. He is pretty smart but even so I was impressed by what he knew!

One thing I remember from my childhood was Lincoln's Birthday. We used to celebrate it every February 12th. This happened to be my Grandmother's Birthday, Gaga. She would say, "My birthday is so special that they close the bank!"

Photo Credit

2 comments:

Trudy said...

We'd all be in good shape come November if we could take that good advice and vote for a dead President. I love the quote from George Washington and Gaga, of course my memory has failed me once again.

Maybe that smart boy will run for President some day?

Anonymous said...

What great quotes from all three! Your son is right up there with George & Abe. He must have really good teachers - his mom, his K teacher, his former day care provider, and the most important age 1-3 influence!!