Monday, March 9, 2009

A New Addiction!

Unfortunately I have found a new addiction to waste time on! My son had to do a family tree for homework last Wednesday night. I saw it Monday on his homework list, so I was prepared to think about it on Wednesday. Well on Tuesday I saw that it needed to have pictures! I still wasn't to worried because after all it is only 1st grade and they had one night to work on it. The teacher couldn't expect much, right? Wrong! It was his home work for Thursday, Friday, all weekend and due on Monday. This must mean that she expects a little thought and creativity.

Well, 120 hours later (give or take a few), my son had a really cool, five generation, tri-fold poster board with names and pictures! We were both very impressed with it, and so was his teacher. He said it was the best one and everyone wanted to look at all his pictures. I guess we went a little overboard.

Anyway may addiction is Family Tree Builder. It is a free down loadable family tree program. Once I got started on it, I couldn't stop. I then got on Ancestry.com and signed up for their 14 day free trial and I went to town. Needless to say, not much else got done this weekend. It was fun finding my Grandfather's Naturalization paperwork from 1926, the ship docket from when my Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt and Uncle immigrated to America, lots and lots of death certificates and lots of Census reports. I filled in a bunch of information and I keep looking for more. It is like a treasure hunt!

I will post pictures of my son's Family Tree tomorrow. He was quite proud this morning when I took his picture with it. I just got to go get some laundry done and then get to bed!

2 comments:

sequin said...

Maybe post a little at a time! That way we won't have to wait to see whats going on at This Crazy Little Life of Mine! Can't wait to see what you've found!

Trudy said...

Sounds very interesting. You sound like Mom helping with the school reports. Guess who's Class Mom when Little Miss gets to 1st grade.

Look forward to your pictures.