Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saturday Fun

After a very long week of work, I was ready to have some fun. I had read on one of my newly discovered blogs, Hello My Name is Heather about a fun thing to do with kids. She is very talented and had some great photos about making foam crowns. I believe it was a birthday party activity that she did with her child. It looked like lots of fun and was inexpensive too! Since we needed to go to Michaels to pick up supplies for making our valentines I let the kids pick out what they wanted to make. Originally they wanted to make visors, but when they found the crowns, they both wanted them. They picked out the foam stickers to put on them and when we got home, they went to work. It was very simple and they had them created in a very short time. They were so proud of their handy work.

I told my daughter that she could be the queen. She said "No Mommy, I want to be the King! I want to be the King of the Castle" I told her she could be whatever she wanted, but of course her brother told her she couldn't be the King because he was and besides "your not a boy."




Another fun thing I found on Heather's site was for felt Fortune Cookie Valentines. These looked like they would be fun and easy. We picked up the supplies at Michaels and worked on them this afternoon. I used foam sheets instead of felt and 20 gauge florist wire. They were easy to make and they can hold about three or four Hershey Kisses. I still need to make the fortune to insert into the cookies. I also picked up little chinese take out boxes. We wrote the names of all the children in my son's class in red glitter paint. The kids then stuck foam hearts on them. We are going to put one cookie and a few extra kisses in each box. Here is a photo of the large box that we will give to the Babysitter.

We had a lot of fun making these crafts today. It was so nice to be able to enjoy my children and easy my mind from all the stress of this last week. The children enjoyed having my full attention and loved making things for their friends! I am also proud of myself that this is completed and we won't be rushing to get them done the night before Valentines Day!

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Your weekend crafts are very cute! I bet the kids love that your reading blogs now. The King and ................ the "King" are very cute. A good idea for a birthday craft. Also LOVE the fortune cookie Valentines. Very professional! The poor kids that bring Dum Dum suckers to pass out. oops, better run back to the store.

BTW, love the changes to your title bar!

Anonymous said...

That little queen (I mean king) looks like she has become quite fond of a camera! No problems posing with the other king! Just d.aah.ling! The fortune cookies will be quite the rage at school - everyone will be saying, "did you get a valentine from the king?" Hong Kong would be impressed with those cookies!