Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Secret Ingredient

My son and I were sitting at the table and he was talking about cooking. He told me that he thought that I cooked everything really good. Just what mom's love to hear! I told him it was because I always used a secret ingredient. This piqued his interest. Really, what kind of secret ingredient, he wanted to know. I told him that whenever I cooked I always made sure I put in lots of love. He didn't want that to be the secret ingredient. I told him that it was and that love made everything better.

Skip to a couple of nights later.

I had planned on making a baked macaroni and cheese for dinner. I looked for a recipe but didn't have all the ingredients. So I made a regular mac and cheese on the stove, but from scratch. When I was all done, I called everyone for dinner. My daughter started throwing a fit because she did not want to eat "that" mac and cheese; it was Kraft or nothing for her. She was sent to her room, by way of my husband having to carry her. In the mean time my son takes a bite and says "Yuk! I don't like this stuff." I am ready to cry because it was late and nobody was happy. My son then says, "Mommy I think you forgot the secret ingredient." Both my husband and I started laughing. It was what we needed at just the right moment.

When my husband tasted it, he too said that something was not right. One of the cheeses I used was way to strong and it was not good. The best part was a friend called and was bringing over some Cioppino for us to try. My husband and I had that and the kids got peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And everyone was happy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son says the sweetest things!

Love Bandit said...

speakin of macaroni, I make like four boxes of Kraft mac and cheese on saturday night and mixed it with a can of chili... it is so delicious, even if I don't know how I'll eat it all.

Trudy said...

Where's my comment? I'll try again.

I guess my problem is that I have no secret ingredient :( No, there is a lot of love poured into getting ready to go out to dinner. (Unfortunately those days are few now.) Love your story. I can picture the whole scene. You're going to have a lot of little things to tell your grandchildren around the campfire. I

sequin said...

I bet little missy was glad everyone agreed with her albeit more mildly. Remember Mom saying that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." I love homemade mac & cheese myself. Do you have any left? :)

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Lol that is just too funny! :P