Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Choice?

I was listening to Catholic Radio today and heard something that has made me think all day. It was a clip from a speech given by Father Frank Pavone at the funeral mass of several aborted babies that had been found in the trash behind the clinic. What got me thinking is a comment about it really being a choice. Do these women really feel that this is their choice or is it that they feel that they have no choice? I think it is that they have no choice because they are pressured by boyfriends, friends, afraid of what their parents might say or do and many other lies that society tries to convince them of. I really don't believe that the majority of women and young girls are there because they feel that this is the best "Choice". Instead they are convinced that this is their only "Choice". If only they could get beyond the moment of fear and worry. If only they knew that there are lots of people who would be there for them, if they knew this was their choice.

It makes me think about people who are contemplating suicide. They too must think that suicide is the only choice that they have to get out of their problem. If they could just get beyond that moment, a solution could be found. There is always someone who says after the tragedy, if I only knew I would have helped them.

Is God sending me blog posts (Gluttony!) and messages on the radio to speak to my heart. Is he trying to tell me something? Am I going to be open to what he has to say? Oh, Lord I pray that I can be open to your will, in all areas of my life.

**When I sat down to blog tonight, I was going to post about our upcoming 4th of July trip. Who Knew!

3 comments:

Trena said...

My friend emailed me the quote at the bottom of this (after her miscarriage) and it is hanging up next to my desk. I read it every morning before I start my work day. If everyone in the world could feel the truthness in this quote the world would be a much better place.

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did. When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence...THE WILL OF GOD WILL NEVER TAKE YOU WHERE THE GRACE OF GOD WILL NOT PROTECT YOU."

Trudy said...

God created you strong, intelligent, and articulate. I think he has great plans for your strength. So many of the Saints received their call at later stages in life. V. has been telling me about Bl. Mother Teresa and how she would let go of her fear, lack of ability and just let God work through her. He did all the work.

If we would only let Him.

I love the quote from Trena above - I'm going to write that down.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is always someone there to understand - Jesus Christ. This world tries so hard to keep that from our hearts.

"There but for the grace of God go I." That's why empathy and compassion for others - no matter what their choice - is so important.

How does one balance sharing the pro-life message and offering that empathy? God's Grace, Love and the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, its just mortal to mortal, and he who is most eloquent with words "wins".