Sunday, April 27, 2008

Baby Sparrows

Yesterday we brought our fifth wheel trailer home to clean it up in preparation for our annual family reunion camping trip on Mothers Day Weekend. After the trailer had been at our house for awhile, my husband spotted a bird nest in a vent on the side of the trailer. When I looked at it I could see two sets of tail feathers! This made me very upset.

My husband had all ready put his camper shell back on our truck and restocked it with his tools. We also needed to start cleaning it up, so it was not an option to take it back to the storage facility. I talked to my Dad, but he was out of town so he had me call my sister's friend Cheri who is the animal queen. She has lots of animals and knows how to care for them. She said that if we got the nest out, we could feed them with a dropper overnight, and then she would take them when she got into town the next day.

My sister came over to help me. We devised a plan, made a food mixture up, got a box and were set to go. I tried to get the nest out, but was afraid to hurt the birds. My sister took over and was able to start pulling it out. As she pulled out this nest, there were four baby sparrows in it! They were not tiny babies, but had a full body of feathers. As the nest came out, the sparrows were probably scared, and away they flew. Three of them flew into the big tree in our front yard. The fourth flew through a window of the trailer. It was sitting on the pillow of our bed when I went in to find it. I was able to catch it. But when I was trying to feed it, it too flew into the tree!

I put their nest into the tree and left out some food and water for them. I am hopeful that they will be okay on their own. Since they flew so well, I hope that they were ready to leave their nest. It makes me sad that they don't have their mother around to help them out. I hope that they will survive and live in our big tree in our front yard.

I wish things like this didn't bother me so much. I have worried about those four little birds all day and night. This morning as I type this I have tears coming down my face. I keep thinking about Mathew 10:29 "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and not one of them shall fall on the ground without your Father." I will have to put them in his hands and trust that he will take care of them according to his will. I did what I could, and I now have to trust.

3 comments:

Trudy said...

God gave you that big heart for a reason. Use your gift according to His will and He'll take care of the rest!

Those little sparrows probably needed a little nudge - I'm sure they'll stick together.

Anonymous said...

Those little sparrows were mighty strong - they will be fine. It is the mother who may be fretting - but they were ready to empty that nest any time. ...Kind of like kids going off to college...strong enough to survive but have a lot to learn. :)

LeeLee said...

What a kind heart you have!