I have to admit that I am a political junkie. I have always enjoyed watching and following politics especialy at election time. I blame this on one of my elementary school teachers. Her husband was running for District Attorney so during civics class it was always about elections. We had to cut out newspaper articles and write stories on the propositions and about candidates. We would also have mock elections in the class. I also have very found memories of my Mom taking us with her to vote. I was involved in school politics and always had some office in student government. I wish that I would be enrolled in a Civics class or a Political Science each year during election time. This year is just a little different.
Politics has gotten so mean and ugly. I can't believe that it is okay that the husband of a candidate can be mocked in a SNL skit for having incest with his children. Or when did it become okay to say that if a candidate goes to a certain state that she will be gang raped? How come the media will investigate whether one candidate is telling the truth about his torture story by going to that country and finding his torturer to see if he tells the same story. (Guess what, he said that he did not torture him, surprise, surprise) Yet there are allegations of connections to corrupt people and real estate dealings that aren't looked into for the other candidate. Am I just sensitive to my side or are things getting really nasty out there? It seems that each year things get worse and worse.
I do not see why anyone these days would want to run for public office. Governor Palin was probably perfectly happy running the State of Alaska. She was living her life and then suddenly she is given an opportunity to serve the country; and she decides to say yes. I wonder if she would have said yes if she could have seen what would happen in the next few weeks. I would never ever want to be in that position. Why would anyone?
One other thing, how come it is women who are the first to go for blood on another woman? It has been other women who have said some of the nastiest things about Sarah Palin. I wonder if it makes them feel better or if they are just jealous. It is sad that we can't just disagree with someone who has a different opinion and view without trying to degrade and tear them down. We need to pray for this country, for all politicians and the media that we can get back on the track of honesty and respect.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Ooooh, it is ugly out there - hadn't heard some of that smut. I've been listening to Al Kresta on my way to pick up the girls from school and have come to really appreciate his faithful position to politics. He always seems to get to the heart of the issue and comes up with the core issue. His perspective has been refreshing. Ignore the smut - it's always out there and will surely come back to haunt those that create it.
Good always triumphs in the end. ...and your teacher did her job getting you involved and valuing your vote.
AMEN!! I think the greater thing to do is to focus only on the good things. Let's turn it around!
Sincerely, Polyanna
Great common sense post!
Post a Comment