Monday, January 19, 2009

A Craving for Asada

My husband and I both get a craving for carne asada tacos. We love them and want them all the time. We have tried to make them a couple of times, but they turn out just okay. It has to be how we season our meat. They always are laking something.

Our friends bring asada meat to our family reunion and it is very good. They get the meat from a little Mexican grocery store, in a small town by there house. The guys BBQ it up and it is really good, almost as good as our favorites.
These are our favorites! They are little tacos that only cost a dollar a piece. They come with chopped cabbage, onions, cilantro and sauce. The meat is always very juicy and seasoned just right. I love the onions, cilantro and hot sauce. My husband only gets cabbage and just a dash of sauce, he is such a gringo!

And where do you think we get these tacos, you ask. Well at our favorite little taco wagon.
Yes, we actually eat at these things, well at least this one. My husband found this taco wagon when he was working in the area. There was always people in line, so he figured it would be safe to eat there. We have been eating there ever since. We have no problem taking the 20 minute drive to go and get them.

While we were there, only about ten minutes, there were at least eight people that came up and ordered food. Guys pull up in their work trucks and order their food as well as families. At lunch time and dinner time the place is really busy. We aren't the only ones that have discovered how good they are.
They serve lots of other things and the kids favorites, bean and cheese burritos and cheese quesadillas. These are their favorites, as well as the chocolate hostess cupcakes that Daddy always buys them from the mini market that we have to get our drinks at. The mini market allows the truck to sell food, but no drinks. That way they get a cut of the business.
So next time you see one of these little trucks, and there is a line of people, chances are they have great food. Or if you see the one in front of Adolfo's, stop and get some good carne asada. You won't be sorry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never even heard of asada. Gosh I need to get out more. And I love Mexican food!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to go out there some day. Maybe next time you go give us a call. They do look pretty good.

Trudy said...

They sure look good. I know what it means to have a mean craving. The price is right for sure. As I remember though the little mini mart gets might upset if you go to the place next door for drinks - yikes.

I heard about Wahoo Fish Tacos. They have a restaurant here now. Here's their website http://wahoos.com/

(I just had trouble spelling restaurant - how could that happen?)

Lisa said...

I love a good fish taco even more than carne asada tacos! We will definitely have to try them next time we are in town.