Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day!

I found this fun little meme on Rocks in my Dryer and thought it would be fun to do. So in honor of Labor Day, here is my labor story.


How long were your labors?
My son 24 minutes! My daughter 24 minutes!


How did you know you were in labor?
The nurse told me I was having a contraction with my son but I did not feel it. With my daughter I felt one long pain.


Where did you deliver?
With both of them, at the hospital.


Drugs?
I had epidurals with both of them. I only felt one pain with the second one just before they gave me the epidural.


C-section?
Both of my children were scheduled C-sections! That is why the other questions seem a little too easy. When I was pregnant with the first, the doctor had to talk me into the c-section because she knew my son was going to be large. Because of my age and the fact that it was my first delivery, she was afraid of shoulder distocia(?). After seeing what that was on an episode of either Maternity Ward or Babies Special Delivery, I whole heartily agreed to have one. When they laid my 10 pound son on my chest, I was soooo thankful that I had agreed. With my daughter, I couldn't wait to pick the day and the time. I had one very strong contraction when I was laying on the delivery table, just before the epidural. I was so thankful that I would not have to go through hours of that. Again when they handed me my 10 lb 4 oz little girl, I was so grateful for the c-section option! Both of them were born 24 minutes after the hour that I was rolled into the delivery room; one was 4:24 pm and the other was 12:24 pm.


Who delivered?
I had a very good doctor who was very quiet. When I was pregnant the first time, she had never been pregnant before. By the time I had my daughter, she had given birth to a son. She was a fantastic doctor the second time around. She was good the first time but what a difference going through a pregnancy made on her bedside manner and her techniques.


If you want to play along with this meme, just cut and paste the questions into your own blog, and then leave a link on Rocks in my Dryer.

2 comments:

Trudy said...

First I love your blog design! Hope you keep this one, it's really soothing and sharp at the same time.

The price you pay for an easy labor w/ a c section comes later with the recovery. I remember w/ the first especially - just as your coming out of the haze you're having to learn how to nurse. That was hard. Neat post.

Anonymous said...

24 minutes was a loooooong time for us on the other side of the door! Soooo fun to see Daddy and nurses measure, weigh and clean. Those were great memories for us!